Sunday, September 20, 2009

Night Train

Our last day in Ko Phangan was a quiet one. Snapped this shot before we left. 10 euros a flower!!! The hotel where we stayed had a lot of rules. No durian fruit in the room or be fined, no body paint or be fined, don't pick the flowers, no television, no free internet, no nothing etc etc etc. They even soldered the key to the room electricity pass thingy so you couldn't detach it and leave your air con on all day as we like to do.

Since this place is party central they don't allow anything. So many people pass through partying, drunk, on drugs, the works.. at all hours of the night. I assumed that people were picking the flowers for their hair. Then when the tree remain bare they put a charge on it. Now you see flowers.

The journey was long. We left at 4pm for an hour's ride to the pier, then waited at the pier for 40 mins. The ferry ride was 3 hours to the mainland and then boarded a bus for a 2 hour journey to the train station. We arrived 2 hours early for the 11 30 pm train that ended up being delayed until 12 15 am.
Sketch city!! When we first arrived there random people just lying around on the benches, sleeping, eating, selling things.. but just a few. I used the bathroom and had to pay 30 baht for service in a filty bathroom with no paper or spray thingy. I was wondering how the people used the toilet and you know, cleaned up afterwards... i always bring my own toilet paper.

On this trip I remembered to bring the playing cards so we passed the time like that.

The discussions were all about what to expect when the train came. We paid extra for first class.. a private room with a locking door so we could sleep in peace. The train would travel overnight and arrive in the morning around 11am. We were hoping to buy some dinner along the way but we didn't like the looks of the station after seeing a huge rat run into a hole on the platform!!
We bought chips and chowed on sunflower seeds to fill the gap.

It wasn't spotless, and it wasn't filthy. Good enough. I slept up top.

View from the train window in the morning.

They came around selling coffee and doughnuts in the morning. Thank God! I like a good support pillow but that one was so hard it was like lying on a rock. And the train was quite noisy. I woke up to Nicola standing and in my face.. Turns out I was dreaming and he thought I had been awake. He startled me, I had the 'where am i???' feeling. no doubt.

2 days in Bangkok and then back home to China. woo.

No comments: